Iridium, Qualcomm Join Forces To Tap Satellite Messaging Beyond Smartphones
Benzinga · 01/06/2023 06:03
- Iridium Communications Inc (NASDAQ:IRDM) collaborated with Qualcomm Inc (NASDAQ:QCOM) Qualcomm Technologies, Inc to enable satellite messaging and emergency services in smartphones powered by Snapdragon Mobile Platforms.
- Iridium satellite constellation supports Qualcomm Technologies' new Snapdragon Satellite solution.
- Emergency messaging using Snapdragon Satellite will likely debut in the second half of 2023 in premium Android smartphones launched in select regions.
- The service would be similar to Emergency SOS via satellite offered on Apple Inc's (NASDAQ:AAPL) latest iPhones but would go further, letting people message whomever they like, the Wall Street Journal reports.
- The collaboration aimed to support satellite services into a variety of smartphone brands and has the potential to expand to other consumer devices in the future.
- Beyond smartphones, Snapdragon Satellite can expand to other devices, including laptops, tablets, vehicles and IoT.
- Iridium CEO Matt Desch said, "Working with a mobile technology leader such as Qualcomm Technologies and their powerful Snapdragon platforms allows Iridium to serve the smartphone industry horizontally – and offers us an opportunity to enable other consumer and vehicular applications in the future."
- Durga Malladi, SVP and general manager, cellular modems and infrastructure, Qualcomm Technologies, said, "Snapdragon Satellite is another step in achieving our vision, enabling OEMs and other service providers with global coverage and satellite messaging capabilities."
- With approximately 85% of the world's surface without cellular coverage, Snapdragon Satellite-equipped smartphones can access global coverage, send emergency messages, and text with friends and family from anywhere on the planet with a view of the open sky.
- Price Action: IRDM shares closed higher by 0.02% at $53.18 on Thursday.
- Photo Via Company