CIF/FOB Gulf Grain-Soybean barge bids ease; corn bids firm
June 9 (Reuters) - Spot basis bids for soybeans shipped by barge to the U.S. Gulf Coast fell on Thursday, while corn barge bids remained firm, supported by tight supplies and competition from Midwest grain processors, traders said.
* Costs for barge freight were rising but trade was thin, a barge source said. Empty barges on the Mississippi River at St. Louis were offered Thursday at 390% of tariff, up from 360% a day earlier. BG/US
* CIF Gulf soybean barges loaded in June traded at 112 cents over Chicago Board of Trade July SN2 futures and were re-bid at 111 cents over July SN2 futures, down 11 cents from Wednesday's last bid. July soybean barges traded at 107 and 102 cents over futures and were re-bid at 102 cents over futures, steady with Wednesday.
* FOB soybean offers for July shipments from the Gulf held at about 145 cents over CBOT July futures.
* For corn, CIF barges loaded in June traded at 98 cents over CBOT July corn CN2 futures and were re-bid at 96 cents over futures, up a penny from Wednesday's last bid. July barges were bid at 82 cents over futures.
* FOB basis offers for July export loadings held at around 102 cents over futures.
* The U.S. Department of Agriculture's weekly export sales report showed sales of old-crop soybeans at 429,900 tonnes, up 41% from the prior four-week average and near the high end of trade expectations. EXP/SOY
* New-crop soybean sales of 595,300 tonnes for the week ended June 2 were also at the high end of expectations for 50,000 to 600,000 tonnes. nAQN15C9UO nL1N2XV1QD
* Separately, the USDA confirmed private sales of 143,000 tonnes of U.S. soybeans to unknown destinations, including 500 tonnes of old-crop supplies and the remaining 142,500 tonnes of new-crop soy. nFWN2XW0PS
* Weekly corn sales totaled 354,000 tonnes (old and new crop years combined), in line with expectations, and wheat sales of 451,000 tonnes were near the high-end of expectations.
* The USDA's report included an unusual sale of 50,000 tonnes of hard red winter wheat to Switzerland, the European country's first purchase of U.S. wheat since 2011. EXP/WHE
(Reporting by Julie Ingwersen; Editing by Sherry Jacob-Phillips)
For displays of CIF basis, click on the codes in brackets: U.S. CIF Gulf soybeans GRYM U.S. CIF Gulf corn GRYN U.S. CIF Gulf SRW wheat GRYO U.S. CIF Gulf HRW wheat GRYP For displays of FOB basis, please click on the following codes in brackets: U.S. FOB Gulf corn GRZC U.S. FOB Gulf soybeans GRZD U.S. FOB Gulf SRW wheat GRZE U.S. FOB Gulf HRW wheat GRZF LINKS Corn prices page: cpurl://apps.cp./cms/?pageid=corn-cash-market
Wheat prices page: cpurl://apps.cp./cms/?pageid=wheat-cash-market
U.S. barge freight BG/US
U.S. export sales estimates USDA U.S. grain export summary GRA/U Brazil soybean export prices SYBS Brazil corn export prices SYBX Argentina grain prices GRAIN/ARG Russia grain prices GRAIN/RU