VEGOILS-Palm set for biggest weekly jump in a year on Indonesia's export ban
KUALA LUMPUR, April 29 (Reuters) - Malaysian palm oil futures rose on Friday and were set for their biggest weekly jump in a year, as an export ban by top producer Indonesia stoked concerns about supplies, sending global edible oil prices sharply higher.
The benchmark palm oil contract FCPOc3 for July delivery on the Bursa Malaysia Derivatives Exchange climbed 78 ringgit, or 1.13%, to 6,992 ringgit ($1,603.67) a tonne in early trade, rising for a third session in four.
For the week, the contract has gained 10.5% so far in what could be its biggest since May 7, 2021.
* Indonesia should be able to tackle its cooking oil shortage in the next few weeks and lift an export ban on palm oil and its refined products in May, an industry body said on Thursday, a day after a last-minute policy U-turn sparked more alarm for markets. nL2N2WQ04P
* As a shortage of sunflower oil ripples through the global food industry, Unilever said on Thursday that it has altered some of its recipes so it can substitute rapeseed oil instead, a move that could help it save money as input costs soar. nL3N2WQ4CY
* Dalian's most-active soyoil contract DBYcv1 rose 1.3%, while its palm oil contract DCPcv1 gained 4.5%. Soyoil prices on the Chicago Board of Trade BOcv1 were down 0.8% after a 3.2% jump overnight.
* Palm oil is affected by price movements in related oils as they compete for a share in the global vegetable oils market.
* Palm oil may retest a resistance at 7,107 ringgit a tonne, a break above which could lead to a gain into the range of 7,239-7,419 ringgit, Reuters technical analyst Wang Tao said. TECH/C
* The Malaysian bourse will be closed until May 5 for Eid al-Fitr.
* Asian shares clung on to small gains on Friday thanks to a solid Wall Street session, but were still set for their worst month in two years, as China growth fears and looming U.S. rate hikes dragged on sentiment and sent the safe-haven dollar soaring. MKTS/GLOB
0530 France GDP Preliminary QQ Q1
0600 UK Nationwide House Price MM, YY April
0645 France CPI (EU Norm) Prelim YY April
0800 Germany GDP Flash QQ SA Q1
0800 Germany GDP Flash YY NSA Q1
0900 EU HICP Flash YY April
0900 EU HICP-X F&E Flash YY April
0900 EU GDP Flash Prelim QQ, YY April
1230 US Consumption Adjusted MM March
1400 US U Mich Sentiment Final April
($1 = 4.3600 ringgit)
(Reporting by Mei Mei Chu; Editing by Subhranshu Sahu)
For a table on Malaysian physical palm oil prices, including refined oil, Reuters Terminal users can double click on or type OILS/MY01. * To view freight rates from Peninsula Malaysia/Sumatra to China, India, Pakistan and Rotterdam, please key in OILS/ASIA2 and press enter, or double click between the brackets. * Reuters Terminal users can see cash and futures edible oil prices by double clicking on the codes in the brackets: To go to the next page in the same chain, hit F12. To go back, hit F11. Vegetable oils OILS/ASIA1 Malaysian palm oil exports SGSPALM1 CBOT soyoil futures 0#BO: CBOT soybean futures 0#S: Indian solvent SOLVENT01 Dalian Commodity Exchange DC/MENU Dalian soyoil futures 0#DBY: Dalian refined palm oil futures 0#DCP: Zhengzhou rapeseed oil 0#COI: European edible oil prices/trades OILS/E